Posts Tagged Dublin City

C18th Stanley Marriages

Posted by on Thursday, 15 July, 2010

According to the manuscript ‘Pedigree of Stanley of Dublin…etc’ (NLI  GO  MS 176) in the NLI, Dublin, the marriages of James and Elizabeth Stanley’s children were as follows:

+ Edmond = Jane Talbot of Castle Talbot.  Licence dated ?4th August 1786.

+ James = Elizabeth Ireland

+ Catherine =  (1) Brinsley Hewetson, Esq. “Major in the Army”; (2) Christopher Clarke of Twickenham House, King’s Co.

+ Susanna = De Courcy Ireland, married 1774.  Licence dated 02 July 1774.

+ Elizabeth = (1) John Irwin, (2) Richard Ireland

+ Rebecca = James ?Coultry, Esq, RN

There was no sign of either Jane (1759) or Jane (sic) (1764).

St Werburgh’s Church, Dublin: further Stanleys

Posted by on Saturday, 8 May, 2010

In searching St Werburgh’s Parish records recently, there were further Stanleys not known (by me) to be connected. They may, however, be blood relations, and mean something to somebody else, I just don’t know. They are as follows:

1746 26th October
Edwin, son of Edward and Bridget Stanley, Castle Street

1747 15th December
Edward, son of Edward and Bridget Stanley, Castle Street

1748 26th December
George, son of Edward and Bridget Stanley, Castle Street

1749 10th December
Arthur, son of Edward and Bridget Stanley, Castle Street

1751 8th December
Mary, daughter of Edward and Bridget Stanley, Castle Street

1753 18th March
Edwin, son of Edward and Bridget Stanley, Castle Street

1754 14th April
Elizabeth, daughter of Edward and Bridget Stanley, Castle Street

1755 13th April
James, son of Edward and Bridget Stanley, Castle Street

1756 14th March
Jane, daughter of Edward and Bridget Stanley, Castle Street

1757 6th March
James, son of Edward and Bridget Stanley, Castle Street

1758 28th March
Andrew, son of Edward and Bridget Stanley, Castle Street

1759 22nd April
Thomas, son of Edward and Bridget Stanley, Castle Street

1760 13th August
Anne, daughter of Edward and Bridget Stanley, Castle Street

1761 9th August
George, son of Edward and Bridget Stanley, Castle Street

1763 17th April
Mary, daughter of Edward and Bridget Stanley, Castle Street

An alarming fiteen births within sixteen years.

* * *

Also:

1760 31st August
John, son of Edward and Marget (sic) Stanley, Bride Street

The Christening registers were searched over the period January 1724/5 to December 1800 so together with my earlier post detailing the children of James Stanley and Elizabeth Ireland, these wld seem to comprise all the Stanleys in this parish over that period.

Marriages

Having searched the marriage registers between 1704 and 1760, I found only the following:

1756,  May, Edward ?Staley (sic) and Elizabeth Geach. prs(?) Consistory Licence by the Revd, Dan Dickinson

St Werburgh’s Church, Dublin and Hoey’s Court

Posted by on Tuesday, 4 May, 2010

Some background on the location of the Stanleys’ Dublin home and parish church:

St Werburgh’s was a church of Norman foundation, and in the seventeenth century it had been the burial place of many important Anglo-Irish families. There was a churchyard next to the church used for hundreds of years and beneath the church are twenty-seven vaults. Before the Castle Chapel was rebuilt it was “one of the most fashionable [churches] in Dublin; it was regularly attended by the Lord Lieutenant and his suite, and was always densely thronged”. (J. T. Gilbert. History of Dublin. 1854). A son of the Viceroy, Viscount Townsend, born at nearby Dublin Castle, was baptised in the church in December 1768 and the Latouche family, owners of Dublin’s greatest (Huguenot) bank, lived in the parish, in Castle Street. John Field, composer and pianist was also baptised in the church in 1782 and Handel played there. Lord Edward Fitzgerald, commander-in-chief of the United Irishman who died in the 1798 Rising was buried in the vaults of the church in June 1798.

It was (re)built in its present form following a devastating fire in 1754 and reopened in 1759. Sir Philip Hoby, Bart, Rector between 1748 and 1766 who baptised the children of James and Jane Stanley bequeathed funds to erect a steeple. This was 160 feet in height, terminating with gilt ball and weather vane, which formed one of the chief ornaments of Dublin, until allegedly found to be in a dangerous condition and removed in 1810. The church tower was likewise taken down in 1836, so what remains of the church today is sadly reduced from its days of glory.  See St Werburgh’s Church, 2010, exterior .

Like the most ancient streets of the majority of Irish cities, Werburgh Street, and the adjoining Hoey’s Court were found within the immediate vicinity of the castle. “The buildings forming “Hoey’s-court” were erected in the 17th century, apparently by Sir John Hoey, founder of the family of Hoey of Dunganstown, county of Wicklow… Jonathan Swift was born, on the 30th of November, 1667, at the house of his uncle, Counsellor Godwin Swift, No. 9 in this court, which at that period was inhabited by some of the chief lawyers of Dublin. Robert Marshall, third Sergeant of the Exchequer, who resided here from 1738 to 1741, was the friend of Swift’s “Vanessa”. … The Guild of Glovers and the Corporation of Brewers had their public halls till late in the last century in Hoey’s-court, where William Ruxton, Surgeon-General, resided till his death in 1783, and on the north side of which stood Eade’s tavern, closed about 1813.” (Gilbert).

The ‘Goldsmiths Hall’ and office of the Dublin Assay Master was held until the late eighteenth century in the house nearly opposite Hoey’s Court. Round the corner, in a lane just off Werburgh’s Street, the Phoenix tavern, was “one of the most fashionable and most frequented houses of its time in Dublin” in the mid eighteenth century…. In ‘Cole’s-alley’ the passage from Hoey’s-court to Castle-street, was the Royal Chop-House,” a tavern much frequented for billiards about 1768.” (Gilbert)

On the western side of the street stood Darby Square, a small court almost opposite from the entrance to Hoey’s Court where, during the early part of the eighteenth century, many eminent lawyers resided, and in which were situated the Examiner’s Court of Chancery, and the office of the Masters in Chancery. The Solicitor-General, John Bowes, lived in Werburgh Street from 1730 to 1772.  James Stanley, of course, was an ‘attorney’, the term used for lawyers who practised in the common law courts, rather than appearing as advocates in the higher courts, a role reserved (as it still generally is) for barristers. (A century later, attorneys were redesignated as solicitors).

See Central Dublin, mid C18th.  Hoey’s Court is in the bottom left hand corner, immediately to the west of Dublin Castle.  The building immediately to its north is St Werburg’s Church.

Apologies if all a bit surplus to requirements.

Stanleys of Dublin and Low Park Christening Records

Posted by on Monday, 3 May, 2010

The family of James Stanley (1727-65) and Jane Kelly of Low Park, nr Athlone, Co Westmeath, have variously been listed as Edmond (later Sir) Stanley; Edmond and James (later of Bethlehem); and Edmond and James togther with two daughters both of whom married members of the Ireland family.

Having now consulted the original records of St Werburgh’s church, Dublin held by the RCB Library in Braemar Park, Dublin over the period January 1724/5 to December 1800, the full story is as follows:

Anno Domini 1753
1753 14th December
Elizabeth-Maria, daughter of James and Jane Stanley,
Hoey’s Court

1755 3rd March
Catherine, daughter of James and Jane Stanley,
Hoey’s Court

1757 11th December
Susanna, daughter of James and Jane Stanley.
Hoey’s Court

1759 25th November
Jane, daughter of James and Jane Stanley,
Hoey’s Court

1760 7th December
Edmond (sic), son of James and Jane Stanley
Hoey’s Court

1762 21st September
James, son of James and Jane Stanley,
Hoey’s Court

1764 19th February
Jane, daughter of James and Jane Stanley,
Hoey’s Court

1765 2nd May
Rebecca, daughter of James and Jane Stanley,
Hoey’s Court

All were christened by the Rector, Sir Philip Hoby, Bart.

James Stanley was an ‘attorney’, the term used for lawyers who practised in the common law courts, rather than appearing as advocates in the higher courts, a role reserved (as it still generally is) for barristers. (In 1873 attorneys were redesignated as solicitors).

The Ouzel Galley Society 1705-1888

Posted by on Sunday, 7 February, 2010

The Ouzel Galley Society had its origins in a dramatic incident in Irish shipping history. The Ouzel, a trader ship was sent in 1695 to the coasts of Smyrna and the Levant by the firm of Ferris, Twigg and Cash. The ship had an Irish crew and was captained by Captain Eoghan Massey.

When the ship failed to return and three years had passed without any word, it was presumed lost and the owners claimed and were paid the insurance money. Some time later the ship returned with tales of being boarded by Moorish seamen in the Bay of Biscay and then falling into the hands of Algerian pirates who used her in their trade. The Irish crew were kept aboard ship and eventually managed to escape with the ship and the spoils, which greatly exceeded the value of the original cargo.

The merchants, Ferris, Twigg and Cash claimed the new cargo and offered to refund the insurance. The insurers disagreed and the matter was brought to the Courts was settled by arbitration by a committee of merchants. The arbitration was successful and met with such approval that the committee formed itself into the Ouzel Galley Society in 1705, with the aim of arbitrating in all disputes referred to them relating to trade and commerce. Fees were charged, and these were used to provide benefits for ‘decayed’ merchants.

The Society was a success but over time became more of a social club than an arbitrator, in 1869 important matters were still being dealt with by the society. However in 1888 with the growing complexities of commercial law the Society was voluntarily wound up by the Order of the Court of Chancery, and its assets were distributed among charitable associations.

F.G. Hall, ‘The Bank of Ireland 1783-1946‘
Dublin: Hodges, Figgis & Co Ltd, 1949, pages 478 & 479.

Arthur Stanley, Director and Governor of the Bank of Ireland (1786-1808)

Posted by on Saturday, 6 February, 2010

Arthur Stanley was one of the original subscribers to the capital of the Bank of Ireland in 1783-1784, subscribing £2,000.

He was a director of the bank in the years 1786, 1788, 1790, 1792, 1794 and 1796-1807. He then became governor of the bank from 1807-1808. He was a member of the firm of Arthur Stanley & Co, formerly Westlake & Stanley, drug merchants of 4 Bride Street, successors of Patrick Bride. The Stanleys, originally Hanleys, came from farming stock in Westmeath.

F.G. Hall, ‘The Bank of Ireland 1783-1946
Dublin: Hodges, Figgis & Co Ltd, 1949, pages 505 & 509.

Further information on Arthur can be found at: http://www.thebrassbuddha.net/stanley/?p=218″
Some information on Arthur Stanley’s son Edward can be found at: http://www.thebrassbuddha.net/stanley/?p=330″

Joseph Michael Stanley, 1890-1950

Posted by on Tuesday, 2 February, 2010
Joe Stanley: Printer to the Rising Tom Reilly’s book ‘Joe Stanley: Printer to the rising’ tells the life story of Joseph Michael Stanley or more accurately Joseph Michael Patrick William Catherine Larkin Stanley. Born in Dublin, the son of John and Mary Stanley of Ardbolies, near Clogherhead in Co. Louth, the book concentrates on the period from 1913 to 1923.In 1913 Joe bought a struggling printing works, and in the following years the book records his increasing involvement in the republican movement. His printing works were raided in March 1916 and the presses confiscated. He delivered copies of a handbill ‘The Provisional Government to the Citizens of Dublin’ to the GPO on Easter Tuesday. He was arrested at the end of the week and eventually was imprisoned at Frongoch Concentration Camp near Bala in North Wales. Other prisoners included Michael Collins, Sean T. O’Reilly, Dr James Ryan, Tomas MacCurtain, Terence MacSwiney, Desmond Ryan, W.J. Brennan-Whitmore, Richard Mulcahy, Michael Staines, Oscar Traynor and Dick McKee.All the prisoners were released before Christmas 1916. Returning to Dublin he recommenced printing under his imprint the Gaelic Press. In 1918 he started printing An tOglach for Michael Collins, and again found himself subject to raids from the police. In 1919, frustrated by the confiscation of his presses, he moved with his family to Drogheda where he opened a cinema, this was followed by the opening of a second cinema in Dundalk in the same year. In 1920 he stood for election and was elected to Louth County Council. Following independence in 1921 Joe was back in Dublin getting his printing presses back and resurrecting the Gaelic Press. When the Civil War broke out in 1922 Joe resigned his position in the IRA.

In 1929 he moved to London to take up the post of sub-editor at the Daily Mail, the family remaining in the Clogherhead area. He returned to Ireland in 1935 and the family moved to Drogheda. In 1936 he bought over the Drogheda Argus and Advertiser and he was back in the printing and publishing business, which proved to be very successful. Joe died in hospital in Drogheda in June 1950.

Tom Reilly, Joe Stanley: Printer to the rising. Brandon Press, Dingle; 2005. ISBN: 086322346X.

The Stanley family of Low Park

Posted by on Sunday, 31 January, 2010

The Stanleys of Low Park are descended from Michael Stanley of Handsworth who for his services in the army was granted lands in counties Roscommon and Galway under the Land Act on 10th November 1666. Michael in turn is a descendant of Sir John Stanley (1340-1414) of Lathom and Knowsley.

The family as it grew lived in a number of locations, in and around Athlone, including Low Park, county Roscommon and Bethlem House and Inchmore in county Westmeath and also Dublin.

Robert Stanley of Athlone

Posted by on Saturday, 30 January, 2010

I am searching for Robert Stanley, b: 1757 of Inchmore who married Anne Adamson, b: 1755 of Cloghan, Westmeath.  In 1786  he was residing in Athlone.  He was a Church Warden in 1786 & also a Vestryman between 1785-1803.  He was from the Parish of St. Mary’s (C of I).

It is believed he had a son George Adamson Stanley, b: 1796-97 in Dublin.  He married an Anne Douglas. Also known as Fuller.  He died in Dublin 1872.

Robert’s (1757) father was also Robert, b:1727 at Inchmore. He married Jane at Naas, Kildare in 1755.

If anyone has any information on this family, it would be gratefully appreciated.  Thank you.

Dublin Directory 1803

Posted by on Thursday, 28 January, 2010

Wilson’s Dublin Directory of 1803 is part of the Treble Almanack for the year 1803, the other two parts being John Watson Stewarts Almanack and the English Court Registry.

On page 16 of Wilson’s Dublin Directory the directors of the Bank of Ireland are listed and included in them is:

Arthur Stanley, Esq. 30, Dawson street.

On page 97 of Wilson’s Dublin Directory the following Stanleys are listed in the Merchants and Traders Section:

Stanley (Arthur & Co.) Merchants, 40, Bride-street.

Stanley (Edward) Agent, 121, Stephen’s-green, W.

Stanley (John & Co.) Drug, Oil, and Colour-merchants, 72, Dame-st.

Stanley (William) Tailor, 6, Smock-alley.

On page 110 of the Directory the Members of the Society of the Ouzel Galley includes:

Arthur Stanley,

On page 111 of the Directory lists the Benchers of the Hon. Society of the King’s Inns, Dublin, as they stood in michaelmas term, 1801, with the dates of their admission. The numbers of which are limited to 45 and include:

T. 1789 Edmond Stanley, Esq.

On page 120 of the Directory lists the Barristers at Law with their dates of admission which  includes:

M. 1782 Stanley (Edmond) K.C.

[the M & T before the years above indicate the Michaelmas and Trinity terms.]

More information on the above mentioned Arthur Stanley can be found at: http://www.thebrassbuddha.net/stanley/?p=337″
Further information on Edmond Stanley can be found at: http://www.thebrassbuddha.net/stanley/?p=413″
More information on the Ouzel Galley Society can be found at: http://www.thebrassbuddha.net/stanley/?p=355″