MR. J. F. MAFFETT AND MISS HARRISON
The marriage took place at Holy Trinity, Prince Consort Road, on Saturday of Mr. John Francis Maffett, 2nd Battalion, The Duke of Wellington’s Regiment, eldest son of Lieutenant-Colonel and Mrs. R. E. Maffett, of Wellington Lodge, Maidenhead, and Miss Delia Violet Harrison, only daughter of the late Mr. Percy Harrison and of Mrs. Harrison of 12, Courtfield Gardens, S.W. The Rev. J. O. Hannay officiated, assisted by the Rev. W. R. Flex.
The bride, who was given away by her brother, Mr. W. Maxwell Harrison, wore a medieval gown of gold lamé with the train cut in one with the skirt. Her veil of antique Brussels lace was held in place by a headdress of orange-blossom and she carried a bouquet of yellow roses, lilies-of-the-valley, and white heather. There were two bridesmaids – Miss Mary Pearson and Miss Barbara Harris; and Mrs. Webster was a matron of honour. They wore dresses of peach-coloured velvet with headdresses of pink and gold leaves and carried bouquets of pink chrysanthemums. Mr. John Reed, R.N., was best man and, like the bridegroom, wore uniform. A guard of honour was formed by representatives of The Duke of Wellington’s Regiment, the Royal Navy and Royal Air Force.
A reception was held at 8, Chesterfield Gardens, and then the bride and bridegroom left for their honeymoon, the bride travelling in a rust-coloured dress and hat and a fur coat.
Among the guests were:- Lieutenant-Colonel and Mrs. R. E. Maffett, Mr. and Mr. Cecil Harmsworth, Lieutenant-Colonel and Mrs. W. G. Neale, Sir Frank and Lady Newnes, Miss Harrison, Miss E. Harrison, Lieutenant-Colonel Sir Randle and Lady Mainwaring, Mrs. Sharp Deane, Mr. Gerard Maffett, Mr. Alan Maffett, Viscount Rothermere, Baron and Baroness de Rutzen, Colonel and Mrs Garstin, Lady King, Mr. and Mrs. Vyvyan Harmsworth, Sir Harold Harmsworth, Mr. Anthony Neale and Mr. Guy Neale.
The Times, 21st December 1936.