Tag Archives: de Rutzen

The Marriage of Reginald Ernest Maffett and Gwendoline Mary de Rutzen

MAJOR R.E. MAFFETT AND MISS DE RUTZEN

At Holy Trinity, Prince Consort-road, yesterday, the marriage took place of Major R. E. Maffett, Duke of Wellington’s Regiment, son of the late Mr. William Hamilton Maffett, and Mrs. Maffett, of St Helena, Finglas, County Dublin, and Miss Gwendoline Mary de Rutzen, daughter of Sir Albert and Lady de Rutzen of 90, St. Georges-square.

Canon Sheppard, Sub-Dean of the Chapels Royal, officiated, assisted by the Rev. H. Coward.

Sir Albert de Rutzen gave away his daughter, who wore a dress of white Duchesse satin with an overdress of antique Brussels point lace, which had been worn by her great-great-grandmother.  Her veil was also of Brussels lace and the moire silk train was veiled in the same.  The bride was attended by three bridesmaids – Miss de Rutzen, Miss Violet Pringle, and Miss Daphne Harmsworth – whose frocks were of pale blue satin with pink chiffon tunics trimmed with lace.  Their hats were black with touches of pink.  The two pages, Master Hugh Mainwaring and Master Harmsworth, were dressed in blue satin.  Captain H. Maffett, Leinster Regiment, was best man.

A reception was held at 90, St. Georges-square, the house of the bride’s parents, and later the bride and bridegroom left for Magdalen, Henley (lent by Mr. and Mrs. Cecil Harmsworth.  The bride travelled in a silver grey satin gown trimmed with silver lace and a grey Tegal straw hat adorned with shaded pink Lancer plumes.

The Times, 11th August 1911, p9.

See also: The Family of Reginald Ernest Maffett and Gwendoline Mary de Rutzen

Marriage of John Francis Maffett and Delia Violet Harrison

MR. J. F. MAFFETT AND MISS HARRISON

The marriage took place at Holy Trinity, Prince Consort Road, on Saturday of Mr. John Francis Maffett, 2nd Battalion, The Duke of Wellington’s Regiment, eldest son of Lieutenant-Colonel and Mrs. R. E. Maffett, of Wellington Lodge, Maidenhead, and Miss Delia Violet Harrison, only daughter of the late Mr. Percy Harrison and of Mrs. Harrison of 12, Courtfield Gardens, S.W.  The Rev. J. O. Hannay officiated, assisted by the Rev. W. R. Flex.

The bride, who was given away by her brother, Mr. W. Maxwell Harrison, wore a medieval gown of gold lamé with the train cut in one with the skirt.  Her veil of antique Brussels lace was held in place by a headdress of orange-blossom and she carried a bouquet of yellow roses, lilies-of-the-valley, and white heather.  There were two bridesmaids – Miss Mary Pearson and Miss Barbara Harris; and Mrs. Webster was a matron of honour.  They wore dresses of peach-coloured velvet with headdresses of pink and gold leaves and carried bouquets of pink chrysanthemums.  Mr. John Reed, R.N., was best man and, like the bridegroom, wore uniform.  A guard of honour was formed by representatives of The Duke of Wellington’s Regiment, the Royal Navy and Royal Air Force.

A reception was held at 8, Chesterfield Gardens, and then the bride and bridegroom left for their honeymoon, the bride travelling in a rust-coloured dress and hat and a fur coat.

Among the guests were:- Lieutenant-Colonel and Mrs. R. E. Maffett, Mr. and Mr. Cecil Harmsworth, Lieutenant-Colonel and Mrs. W. G. Neale, Sir Frank and Lady Newnes, Miss Harrison, Miss E. Harrison, Lieutenant-Colonel Sir Randle and Lady Mainwaring, Mrs. Sharp Deane, Mr. Gerard Maffett, Mr. Alan Maffett, Viscount Rothermere, Baron and Baroness de Rutzen, Colonel and Mrs Garstin, Lady King, Mr. and Mrs. Vyvyan Harmsworth, Sir Harold Harmsworth, Mr. Anthony Neale and Mr. Guy Neale.

The Times, 21st December 1936.

See also: The Family of John Francis Maffett and Delia Violet Harrison