The Marriage of Reginald Ernest Maffett and Gwendoline Mary de Rutzen

MAJOR R.E. MAFFETT AND MISS DE RUTZEN

At Holy Trinity, Prince Consort-road, yesterday, the marriage took place of Major R. E. Maffett, Duke of Wellington’s Regiment, son of the late Mr. William Hamilton Maffett, and Mrs. Maffett, of St Helena, Finglas, County Dublin, and Miss Gwendoline Mary de Rutzen, daughter of Sir Albert and Lady de Rutzen of 90, St. Georges-square.

Canon Sheppard, Sub-Dean of the Chapels Royal, officiated, assisted by the Rev. H. Coward.

Sir Albert de Rutzen gave away his daughter, who wore a dress of white Duchesse satin with an overdress of antique Brussels point lace, which had been worn by her great-great-grandmother.  Her veil was also of Brussels lace and the moire silk train was veiled in the same.  The bride was attended by three bridesmaids – Miss de Rutzen, Miss Violet Pringle, and Miss Daphne Harmsworth – whose frocks were of pale blue satin with pink chiffon tunics trimmed with lace.  Their hats were black with touches of pink.  The two pages, Master Hugh Mainwaring and Master Harmsworth, were dressed in blue satin.  Captain H. Maffett, Leinster Regiment, was best man.

A reception was held at 90, St. Georges-square, the house of the bride’s parents, and later the bride and bridegroom left for Magdalen, Henley (lent by Mr. and Mrs. Cecil Harmsworth.  The bride travelled in a silver grey satin gown trimmed with silver lace and a grey Tegal straw hat adorned with shaded pink Lancer plumes.

The Times, 11th August 1911, p9.

See also: The Family of Reginald Ernest Maffett and Gwendoline Mary de Rutzen